St Annes is a Victorian seaside town with a long stretch of golden sands and sand dunes. Built originally as part of the Clifton estate, owners of the nearby Lytham Hall purposely created the town to cater for the increasing popularity of sea-bathing – believed to be good for physical health.
The first building in the town was a church, the foundations were laid in 1873 by then Lord of the Manor, Colonel John Talbot Clifton. He dedicated it to Saint Anne in honour of his wife’s aunt, Lady Anne Bentinck. In 1885 St Anne’s Pier was added to the landscape, allowing people to take in the amazing views and fresh sea air.
1925 saw the opening of St Anne’s train station, making the town easier to access and seeing it grow.